If you are looking for something to do with the canned pumpkin in your cupboard, we’ve got you covered! While stuck at home, what better time to bake, teach your kids to bake, and try new recipes with the food you have on hand. Pumpkin Roll recipes are a great place to start!
When it comes to pumpkin, there’s nothing quite like a spicy, sweet, or nutty cake roll. We’ve brought together three of our favorite recipes for you to try. They’re great all year long, but even better in the autumn season when pumpkins overflow the marketplace.
1. Pumpkin Spice Roll Recipe
Hat tip to Kraft Recipes for this great, moist, recipe!
What You Need to Make Pumpkin Spice Roll:
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup flour (Use gluten-free alternatives for a gluten-free dessert)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ½ cups thawed whipped topping
Steps to Make Pumpkin Spice Roll:
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Coat a 15x10x1 inch pan with cooking spray, and line with wax paper. Add more cooking spray to the wax paper and dust with flour.
- Sprinkle a clean towel with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.
- Combine spices, flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together with a mixer on high speed until it’s thickened.
- Add pumpkin to the eggs and sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Now, add the dry mix to the bowl of wet ingredients and beat until blended.
- Spread the batter onto the bottom of the pan, and sprinkle with the walnuts.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched in the center.
- Immediately flip the cake onto the towel and remove the pan.
- Carefully peel off the wax paper.
- Starting on one of the shorter ends, roll up the cake and towel as one.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, beat together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a bowl until blended.
- Add the whipped topping and mix well.
- Now that the cake has cooled, carefully unroll the cake and remove the towel.
- Spread the cream cheese and whipped cream mixture over the cake.
- Reroll the cake and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Finally, unwrap the cake and sprinkle it with more powdered sugar before you serve.
2. Paleo Pumpkin Roll
The recipe below is courtesy of AmyMyersMD.com. It’s not Vegan, but it’s Paleo and gluten-free.
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
How to Make Paleo Pumpkin Roll :
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line your 18×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
3. Combine pumpkin, coconut oil, and coconut milk into a bowl and mix well.
4. Add in the remaining cake ingredients, minus the gelatin powder, and mix thoroughly.
5. Sprinkle the gelatin powder thinly over the wet ingredients and stir in quickly to avoid clumping.
6. Let the mixture rest for about 15 minutes to let the coconut flour absorb and activate the gelatin.
7. Place the dough on the lined baking sheet, and then spread thinly across the parchment paper.
8. Bake for about 18 minutes.
9. Remove the cake from the oven, and let the cake begin to cool.
10. After a few minutes, place the cake in the refrigerator to finish cooling for about 30 to 60 minutes.
11. While the cake is cooling, combine your frosting ingredients into a bowl and mix completely.
12. After the cake has cooled, remove it from the fridge, and spread a layer of frosting.
13. You can either serve flat or roll with a clean, powder sugar-covered towel.
3. Gingerbread Pumpkin Roll
Thank you, Tablespoon.com, for the following gingerbread recipe!
What You Need to Make Gingerbread Pumpkin Roll:
- 1 box Betty Crocker Cookie Mix Gingerbread
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cubed cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened but not melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Gingerbread Pumpkin Roll: Step-by-Step Recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Into a bowl, beat together the cookie mix, oil, pumpkin puree, and water, until smooth.
3. Generously grease and flour a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan.
4. Spread the batter onto the cookie sheet, and thin it out evenly.
5. Bake the cake for about 9 or 10 minutes, or just until the cake has set.
6. Remove from the oven, and let the cake cool slightly.
7. When it’s just a little bit warm to the touch still, quickly flip it onto a thin, clean towel or pastry cloth.
8. Roll the towel up from one end, with the cake now forming a spiral inside the towel.
9. Let the cake cool in the spiral shape to room temperature.
10. Using a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, eggnog, and vanilla. Whip all the ingredients together until fluffy.
11. After the cake has completely cooled, gently unroll the cake and spread the frosting on the cake.
12. Carefully reroll the now cream-filled cake.
13. Let the cake cool for about an hour in the refrigerator.
14. Dust the cake lightly with powdered sugar before serving.
Let the Good Times Roll!
Enjoy your pumpkin roll cake with the family, neighbors, or at a lovely holiday party. Don’t forget to hand out the recipe so others can enjoy the delights on their own.