6 Guilt-Free Desserts
Gluten free chocolate banana bread? Vegan red velvet cupcakes? Healthy peanut butter cups? YES PLEASE!
Want to keep your resolution this year and still enjoy sweet treats? With these “guilt-free” dessert recipes you can do just that! These desserts are so scrumptious, you would never believe they are low calorie. Keep your resolution to be healthier this year and DIG IN! Check out our Ultimate Vegan Baking Guide for more on healthy baking!
1. Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
A 128 calorie delight, these chocolate chip cheesecake bars are too good to pass up!
Image Source: sallysbakingaddiction.com
For the crust, you will need:
5-6 sheets of graham crackers
2 tablespoons salted or unsalted butter, melted
For the filling, you will need:
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
2 egg whites
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I like using vegan chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Set aside an 8×8 baking pan lined with aluminum foil.
2. Making the crust: Grind up the graham cracker into a fine crumb. Dump into a bowl and mix with the melted butter. Press the mixture into the lined pan and bake for 8 minutes. Allow the crust to fill before putting the filling in.
3. Making the filling: Using a hand beater or a stand mixer, beat the softened cream cheese for about a minute. Then beat in the yogurt, egg whites, sugar and flour until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the lemon juice and vanilla last and mix until smooth. Fold in your chocolate chips.
4. Spread the filling onto the crust. Bake for 25 minutes, covering the cheesecake bars at the 20-minute mark with foil to prevent it from browning. Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes at room temperature, then chill in the fridge for 3 hours. Cut into bars. Enjoy!
2. Red Velvet Cupcake
Red velvet cake is known for being decadent and delicious. This healthy red velvet cupcake recipe will not disappoint!
Image Source: chocolatecoveredkatie.com
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
3 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup of sugar or xylitol or any sugar substitute
Handful of mini chocolate chips (optional)
1/4 cup mayo-style spread, like Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup beet juice
2 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon natural red food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake tin with liners.
2. Combine in a large bowl the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar of choice. Add in chips if you are using them in the recipe. Mix very well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine mayo-style spread, vanilla extract, beet juice, water, and food coloring if you choose to include it. Mix until smooth.
4. Pour wet into dry and combine. Pour batter into the pan about 2/3 full and bake for 14 minutes. Let cupcakes sit and cool for ten minutes before removing them from the tin.
3. Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Bananas + Chocolate + Gluten Free = Match made in Heaven
Image Source: yammiesglutenfreedom.com
2 large eggs
1/2 cup honey (or maple syrup, sugar, another sweetener)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup oat flour (any other gluten free flour)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (adjust to taste)
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
Optional add-ins – chocolate chips, dried fruits, nuts
1. Grease bread pans (two 8 inch loaf pans or one 10 inch loaf pan). Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Mix together eggs, honey, applesauce, and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, salt, soda, powder, and cinnamon. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir in the mashed bananas and mix well. Add in any add-ins you wish. Pour into pan(s) and bake for 45-60 minutes. Let cool.
4. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
You’ll go nuts for these chocolate peanut butter cups!
Image Source: fitfoodiefinds.com
2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
8 drops of liquid stevia (or to taste)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Optional: unsweetened coconut
1. Line a mini muffin tray with 12 cupcake liners. Stir all ingredients for bottom layer until smooth. Put this mixture in the liners about halfway full. Put the pan in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
2. Mix together all the ingredients for the top layer until smooth. Fill up the cupcake liners the rest of the way with this mixture. Put pan into the freezer and freeze until solid (about 10 minutes). Keep treats stored in the freezer.
5. Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Double trouble! Indulge in these too good to be true cookies!
Image Source: veggiebalance.com
2/3 cup gluten-free flour
1/3 cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup if desired)
4 tablespoon peanut butter
4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (I like using vegan chocolate chips)
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Grease pan or use parchment paper.
3. In a medium bowl combine gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Mix until fully combined.
4. Stir in the vanilla, honey, peanut butter, and applesauce. Stir until fully combined.
5. Mix in chocolate chips.
6. Drop tablespoon size of dough per cookie on the baking sheet.
7. You may have to flatten the cookies a bit.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
9. Let cool.
6. Mug Brownie
Gooey, chocolatey goodness in a mug! P.S. It’s under 100 calories.
Image Source: livingsweetmoments.com
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 packets of Truvia (or another substitute sweetener)
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour (may be substituted for almond flour)
3 tablespoons of almond milk
1. Place all ingredients inside a microwave safe mug. Mix with a fork or small whisk.
2. Microwave on high for 60 seconds.
These desserts are delicious whether you are watching what you eat or indulging on the regular. If you’re starting a New Year’s resolution to get fit, don’t let healthy eating stop you from enjoying the simple pleasures in life! Delight in these desserts and stay safe this New Year.
These sweet treats look delicious! Can’t wait to try them.