We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Shortbread Cookie Bar
This time of the year is when I start to gather all the cookie and bar recipes good for making during the holidays. This recipe is one of my favorite recipes. Not only does it hold well in a airtight container for about 2 weeks, but it is very easy to add your favorite combination of add ins in to the base recipe! Shortbread is a classic cookie that is just not made enough in my opinion. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or your other favorite extract (Although, if it is almond extract I would cut it down to 1/2 tsp. as it is very strong)
- 1 cup of your favorite add ins. (I used 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks and 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries)
- Dry measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Parchment or Waxed paper
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Cooling rack
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Grease your 9 x 13″ pan with pan spray and line with parchment or waxed paper. You will want to leave a small overhang of your liner to help with easy removal.
Step 2: Gather all your ingredients and supplies needed.
Step 3: In your mixer, cream together your butter and powdered sugar for about 4-5 minutes on medium speed. Stop to scrap down the mixer bowl and finish creaming together these ingredients.
Step 4: In a separate bowl, mix together flour, corn starch and salt.
Step 5: Add dry ingredients and your add ins to the mixer. Mix on low until combined.
Step 6: Place mixture into your prepared 9 x 13″ pan and pat flat in the pan. Once flat in the pan, fork the top of the shortbread. Bake for approx. 45-50 minutes until it is golden brown on the edges. Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes.
Step 7: After cooling for 30 minutes, cut the bars while still slightly warm. Then finish completely cooling.
Step 8: After cooled completely, you can either leave plain, dust with powdered sugar or even drizzle with chocolate. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Great combinations for this shortbread are:
- Dried cherries and Dark chocolate
- Dried raspberries and White chocolate
- Pecans and Dark chocolate
- Cranberry,Pistachio, and White chocolate
- Orange and Cranberry
- Orange and Semisweet Chocolate ( add 1 Tbl. orange zest and 1 cup chocolate)
- Cinnamon and Pecan ( add 1 tsp. cinnamon to dry mixture and 1 cup chopped pecans, dust top of bars with cinnamon/sugar)
- Peanut butter and Semisweet Chocolate (1/2 cup of each flavor chip)
Enjoy and happy creating!
View more of Vickiann’s yummy treats and cakes on her Facebook