A Starbuck’s Coffee run is part of our daily schedule, but for one reason or other we always end up craving just a bit more caffeinated loveliness. Combine that with a constant craving for chocolaty goodness and we’ve got ourselves an emergency! We got all that in this recipe and we’ll even make it a sugar-free cake!
As much as we like a guilty pleasure occasionally, we prefer to have our cake and eat it too. That means all the pleasure with none of the guilt.
And Jessica’s Mocha cake promises just that. This cake is made with no sugar and no gluten. To top it off, this sugar-free cake recipe is high-fiber, high-protein, and low-carb!
Below we share the mocha chocolate infused sugar-free cake recipe adapted from Jessica’s recipe at Desserts with Benefits.
Jessica’s Sugar-free Cake with Mocha Frosting
This sugar-free cake is very airy and sweet, with a load of caffeine and a chocolate double-punch. The cake is moist and smooth while being rich and satisfying.
Sugar-Free Cake Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons Starbucks® Holiday Blend Ground Coffee
- 1¼ cups Boiling Water
- 430g (1¾ cups) Unsweetened Applesauce
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 4 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Stevia Extract
- 224g (2 cups) Coconut Flour
- 144g (¾ cup) Granulated Erythritol
- 80g (1 cup) Unsweetened Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- 1 tablespoon Double-Acting Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 6 ounces Neufchâtel Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces Plain, Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- ¾ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 35g (¼ cup) Powdered Erythritol
- 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Espresso Powder (or to taste)
- 2 ounces No Sugar Added Dark Chocolate, melted
1. With a stand-up mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, you’re going to add the cream cheese, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Beat these ingredients on medium-high until the mixture is completely smooth.
2. Next, turn off the mixer and add the erythritol, cocoa powder, and espresso powder and again beat until smooth on medium-high.
3. Then, you turn down the mixer to a low speed and slowly and add the melted chocolate. After this is smooth, mix one last time after scraping down the bowl.
Put a cover in the mixture and pop in the fridge while you make the cake batter.
Sugar-Free Cake Directions:
1. Set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit to preheat. While the oven is preheating, take the Starbucks® Holiday Blend Ground Coffee and add it to a French press along with the boiling water, letting it brew for about 6-8 minutes, then press. Take one cup of the coffee and set it aside to cool.
2. Now, take two 8-inch pans and spray with cooking spray and then line them with 8-inch parchment paper liners.
3. With an electric stand mixer bowl fitted with a beater attachment, combine the applesauce, almond milk, eggs, egg whites, vanilla extract, and stevia extract, mixing it on low speed. Pour in your now cooled cup of coffee, and keep the mixer running as you complete the next step.
4. Sift together the coconut flour, erythritol, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and turn off the mixer before dumping in these dry ingredients. Turn on the mixer to medium speed and mix all the ingredients until they are all completely mixed together. You’re then going to scrape the sides down and mix it again.
This thick batter will then need to be scooped into the pans and spread evenly. Make sure there is an equal amount of batter in each one.
5. Put the pans in the oven to back for about 50 minutes or until the surface of the cake springs back up after you try tapping it.
After its fully baked, remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely inside of the pans.
6. Take one of the cooled cakes then place and flip it onto a cake pedestal, then peel off the parchment paper. Frost the exposed side with your frosting.
Take the second cake and flip it onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Remove the parchment paper on the bottom side of it and gently place the cake on top of the frosted bottom cake layer.
Be extra careful, as these cakes are delicate!
7. Frost the entire cake and refrigerate it for an hour before serving.
Enjoy your slice of Starbuck’s heaven. It’s better than the sugar-loaded mocha Frap!
- Fair and square, this angled pan bakes a beautiful cake that's easy to slice into equal portions.
- Oven safe to 400 degrees with 10-cup capacity
- Made from cast aluminum
- Replicates the beauty of the famous French dessert that's traditionally been constructed, painstakingly, with individual...
- So easy and so delicious, c'est magnifique
- Made from cast aluminum
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API