The great cupcake project

Great cupcake

I decided today I would finally try out my new cupcake pan. So with all the ingredients ready I started and thought that it would be fun for you to see how it works 🙂 I used the recipe that comes with the pan, a vanilla butter cake.

I baked it on 325 F (165 C) for about 1 hour and 30 mins. At that moment the “swirl” part was done but the bottom needed 15 minutes more. So I placed a piece of tinfoil over the cakes for the last 15 minutes. The cakes went out of the tin very easy. I carved off a little bit of the “swirl” to get it more levelled and assembled the cakes with IMBC.

Great cupcake

All left was to add the IMBC to the top. Not an easy job to do as I had to do it over two times. First a light crumb coating and then I placed it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes so that it would harden before I added the last layer. Now if you wanted it to be smooth like its showed on the pan? a smoothing touch with your hands (wearing gloves of course) would do the trick.

Great cupcake

Then there was not much else to do than to add some sprinkles. I made these a couple of days agoe out of rolled fondant. Here it is all finished and ready to eat 🙂

Great cupcake

Happy Caking

1. ashley says

Will the cookies turn soft when its left outside to dry overnight? since the icing is made with raw eggs, must the cookies be kept in the fridge? or how long can they last out after icing?

• Louise says

My cookies never turns soft when drying overnight. The icing is made with pasteurized egg whites so I do not keep them in the fridge just a air tight box.

2. TL says

I have a giant cupcake pan too, but it is a silicon pan not the one from WS.

I actually use two box cake mixes and it works fine, but i do bake it at 325 instead of 350 and it is for much longer.

I think the chocolate wrapper on the bottom is a great idea.

You can also find premade giant sprinkles instead of making them in fondant. 🙂

Lauren: Ahh you did the chocolate cover 🙂 I love that tip. Did you also cover the bottom of the pan with chocolate? Great to hear that it worked with chocolate and not candy melts. I cant get those to work.

Maggie: Thank you for the great idea 🙂 i have seen on a blog one who made a candy melt collar from the “bottom” and placed the cake/bottom inside.

5. Maggie says

I bought the Wilton Giant Cupcake pan. The receipe that comes with it makes more batter than needed, so I don’t fill it up as full and use the left over batter to make some small cupcakes. The hour baking time in my oven is perfect with no problem. Cake releases out of the pan with ease. I add a filling where the top swirl meets the bottom cake and use a very large star tip to decorate the swirl top, which is very easy to use, no mess and works perfect to keep the “swirl look”. I wrap the lower, unfrosted part of cake, with clear or color food safe plastic wrap as this give it the look of a cupcake liner and keeps the unfrosted cake from drying out. I also like to wrap a pretty decorated ribbon around the plastic wrap to fit a special occasion, and then frost the swirl cake with colored icing to match a color from the decorated ribbon.

6. linda says

Yes, the recipe also supplied on my cupcake packaging was the chocolate pund cake – it is a very heavy cake! I have also tried to make a madeira style sponge but I cant get the measurements right. The vanilla buttercake recipe sounds fab for what I am doing. I cant find it anywhere and I have contacted wilton for it with no luck.

Susan the shop owner: I once made one with Rice Krispie treats. The top can be used as a beehive, bottom for a flowerpot. Many different ways to use it.

I purchased one to use for my daughter’s first birthday, but then returned it because of bad reviews it had received. Now, after reading your little post on it, I’m thinking about giving it a chance after all. How could any cupcake be a bad cupcake???

9. evie says

My Mother-in-law gave me the silicone Giant Cupcake Pan. It did not have any instructions, so I had to try some practice cakes.

I cut pans apart because the top cooked faster than the bottom.

One box cake was not big enough for our tastes, so I made a bananna cake and increased it my one half. Next time I will try doubleing it.

I cook at 325 for over an hour.

It has been fun practicing!

rani: what did you grease the pan with?? maybe next time you want to try the pan bake at a lower temp. for a little longer? I always do that with 3D pans.

11. rani says

I tried this yesterday and my cake fell apart and was VERY difficult to get out the pan. It also had the very “crispy” touch to the outside of teh cake.

Yours looks amazing tho!!!

12. Binta says

I just recently purchased the gaint cupcake pan. The Vanilla butter cake recipe that you mention was not included with my pan :-(. However, a double chocolare pound cake recipe was included and I do not like chocolate. Would you mind sharing the vanilla butter cake recipe?

13. Becky says

You are more than welcome!!! It’s the least I can do for all the “gifts” you have given your readers 🙂
    Now I’m REALLY anxious to see what it looks like with fondant!!! I bet that will be just spectacular!

Thank you all for the comments. Much appriciated. Yes you can do so much fun with this like make the swirl with ice cream. I was also thing of maybe carve out the center of the bottom and fill it with MM’s.

Next time I will try and decorate it with fondant.

Thank you dear Becky for this wonderful gift. You are such a sweet heart.

I was just looking at those pans at Confectionary Houses website. It looks beautiful. What I am wondering is how do you cut it and serve it, since it is such an odd shape?

16. Mari CCS says

Definitely lovely Louise, Congratulations! Finally it seems you enjoyed your new adquisition 🙂 I wish I could have it too !

17. Sierra says

So I’m looking at the website to buy the pan, and I’m kind of confused as to how you bake the swirl. Does it come with a stand or something? : Mrr.

18. Line says

😀 “the great cupcake pan” is a must-have 🙂 it could also be fun filling the “swirl” with icecream.

19. Becky says

Yea!!!! Congrats on the cupcake; I’ve been waiting to see how it turned out…beautiful, of course. I would probably only bake the bottom of the cake, though, and just put 2 feet of icing on the top of it.

20. Janet Kiesler says

This makes me want to go out and buy the pan also. Very nice and neat job decorating. I would like to know how you made the sprinkles (so small) out of fondant.

21. Sandee says

Louise, what a fantastic looking cake! And you do such a great job documenting with the photo’s! Thanks for sharing.

Sandee – Cake Thoughts

I have this same pan and I love it. The last time I used it I frosted the top just like yours, but I also frosted the bottom with chocolate. (Because I really love frosting). It looked really cute!

23. Janelle says

I made one for my birthday – my husband and 6 year old son decorated it. It didn’t turn out quite that lovely, but it was still cute.