Race track birthday cake

Race track birthday cake

I made this race track birthday cake for my sons fifth birthday. The themes has always been trains except for a Lightning McQueen cake and this year it was racing car theme again. So when I saw a really cool cake design on flickr, I just knew that I had to try it out.

The racing cars is made out of fondant with tylo powder so they were really firm. To cut out the stripes for the side of the cake, I used the Multi-Ribbon Tool from FMM.

img_racing-cars

My birthday boy was very very happy when we served the cake 🙂 Now I only need to make Ninja Turtle cupcakes for his kinder garden so I better start coloring some green fondant.

Happy Caking

Comments

1. Alyza says

What sort of cake flavour and ingredients did you use? And what kind of cake tin and their sizes you used in this cake?

2. alina says

i was wondering how you made your 5, your cake is such a big size, i need a big one too. what size pan did you use to bake it? ill be trying to bake it next week, please let me know asap. thank you so much

• says

I cannot remember… sorry! I think that I just made the “5” from a paper template that was in the right size for me. The best way would be to bake a round and a sheet cake and then cut the layers of cake into the desired shape/size. So cakedecorating supply shops do have a special number cake pan. Which is much more easy to use. Hope you find a way to make your cake.

3. Chantelleq says

Im looking forward to trying this for my son’s 5th birthday next month – Any tips for a 1st time user of fondant? Many Thanks

• Louise says

Do not use too much cornstarch when rolling out. Also remember not to let the rolled out fondant laying uncovered for too long as it gets dry in the surface and can causing cracks.

4. Melody says

Hi,what steps did u use when icing this cake? did you first cover the cake in a single layer of white fondant before adding the other layers of grey top and black strips ONTO the white. I tried this cake for my son and although he loved it, it was not as good as yours, I wondered if it was because I did not do the above, so I want to try it again for my nephew. Please help, I think your bog is great

• Louise says

I only added a thin layer of white fondant on the side of the cake. Then I covered the top with grey. I then made both black and white strips and added those to the white fondant on the side. Finish with trimmings to hide the “seam”.

5. Nazek says

Hi I love ur blog and was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to make a number 4 cake? I have a rectangle shaped cake pan how do I go from there? And what cake recipe do you recommend? Thnx in advance

• Louise says

First you should start drawing/cutting out the shape you want for your no. 4 cake. This helps a lot to give you an idea on how to cut out your cake. I made templates out of cardboard which helped a lot when I started carving out the cake. Try and search on Google for: How to make a number 4 cake

You can use any kind of cake recipe you like.

• Louise says

I glued the stripes on to a thin piece of fondant (same height as cake) and applied that to the side of the cake.

6. Pam says

I’m not sure if anyone is still checking here, but I love this cake and want to make something similar.  What size pan was this made in?

• Anonymous says

I used a round and a square cake pan and cut the shape. I leveled the round cake before I used a round cookie cutter on each layer. I’m sorry but I can’t remember what sizes I used back then.

7. Bevspooner says

I love this, am thinking of attempting it for my sons birthday…..do you have a tutorial on making the racecars?

Hi Louise.. thanks for sharing your creations with us.. and i like to let you know that 3 weeks ago I made theme “Race Track” similar like you… I copied the design on number# 3 cake.. It will be posted on my blog ASAP.. and give the link to your website.. thanks and blessings,

Jenny: I buy the black fondant 🙂 It is too difficult to get a really good black. But you can try and color some dark chocolate fondant black. That works really good.

10. Jenny says

Hi, I love this cake and want to have a go at making one for my son, but I have tried to make black icing in the past and only managed dark grey – how do you get the black? Have you used food colouring and roll-out icing or paint? I’ve been googling and it sounds like it could end up tasting funny – any secrets?!

Thanks
    x

11. Jen says

I love this cake! I’m going to attempt this for my 2 year old. Any instructions on how to make the racing cars?

12. Holly says

This is a wonderful cake, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! I am going to attempt it for my son’s 5th birthday – not sure I can do it nearly as nice as yours, but I’ll try! 🙂

Tiffany: Well I do not have a number cake tin so I made a template and cut out from a sheet cake. This was a 2 layer cake.

14. Tiffany says

Okay I know I’m a new comer to the cake world. But how in the world did you make the 5 shaped cake. I need a 3. Did you carve it from a big sheet cake? Was it 2 layers? I know this a a supper stupid question but what kind of recipe would make a cake this big. I have to do this for my sons 3rd. He will LOVE it.

For the questions on how to make the little racers, I may make a tutorial n them but I am working on the design for a cake show so it wont be know. But they ARE easy to make.

Tylo powder is thicken agent that works like gum tracacanth that is made out of gum. It helps to thicken the fondant so it wont collaps and help it dry faster. Everyone should have a pot of tylo powder in their tool box as it is so helpful when modelling figures and flowers.

On the question on how I keep my fondant “clean” Firstly I use a great ready made black fondant that only takes a minimum of corn starch but I also sweep the dark fondant over with a lint free cloth and a little bit of white fat 😉

Thank you all so much.

Happy Birthday to your son. Last month I also made a Mc queen cake for my son. This cake looks pretty cool. When my son see’s this cake he will want to celebrate his b’day again. I also luved the way you carved the “5”.

17. Rayyan says

WOW I liked this cake.. I wish I can do something like this for my son’s 3rd birthday.. but if you can post some tips in how you did it 😉

18. MC says

What a fantastic idea! I love this cake – I’d like to make something similar for my boyfriend he’s such a car aficionado!

19. CakeBreak says

I love the design and color combination. The racing cars look simple to make but you know, I couldn’t have come up with that great design. I wish I had your creativity~

20. Claire says

Brilliant cake and the colours go together really well.
    I love it.
    How did you manage to get it so clean – what did you use to roll out on – icing sugar or white fat? There’s not a speck of icing sugar anywhere!

Happy Birthday to your son!

21. Mara says

Absolutely love this. My sons birthday is on Thursday and he will be 12. But still would love this cake.

Hi,
    i did a car cake for my son’s 2nd birthday too, except mine was done using american butter cream! I guess boys are always into cars, trains, aeroplanes. Happy birthday to your boy-boy 😉
    Cheers,