How to make a quick mini rose

Quick mini rose tutorial

I got a few request on how to make a quick mini rose like the ones on the photo. They are super easy to do and even kids can make them.

The equipment is only:
Colored rolled fondant or gum paste
Small knife
Small leaf cutter
You make the quick mini roses in the palm of your hand, so remember to use some cornstarch on your hands, to prevent the roses from sticking.

Step 1:
Take a small amount of fondant and roll it into a ball and then roll it into a little sausage.
The amount of fondant determine the size of your mini rose. I like to go with a hazelnut or pea size when I make them.

Quick mini rose tutorial 1

Step 2:
Flatten the sausage with your fingers. Dont make it to flat and thinly. Use your forefinger and roll it into a little rose.
At this point you could use a rolling pin, but I find that this can change the look of the mini rose. Thats why I just flatten it with my fingers.

Quick mini rose tutorial 2

Step 3:
Cut any excess fondant of the mini rose with a knife, if needed.

Quick mini rose tutorial 3

To make the small leafs: Take some green rolled fondant. Cut out a small circle with the wide end of a piping tip. Now with the tip cut off small bits of the green circle. Pinch one of the ends and you have a small leaf.

Comments

1. dana says

am asking rolled fondant is the same recipes that you posted it n the tutorials ๐Ÿ˜€ or its different …thanx

2. Rachel says

Lousie,
    Thanks so much, these will be a nice touch to my Belle Doll cake.
    Always Inspired,
    Rachel

3. ashley bridger says

I would Love to see how to make a mini rose…i keep meaning to try it out but I always forget..too cute! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Gabby says

I love these. I’ve been looking through a lot of your posts recently, and I love your work. They’re very inspiring, and I keep coming back and looking at the photos, entries, and tutorials because I’d like to make some lovely things for my daughter’s first birthday. Thank you for taking the time to write these instructions and give details on where you purchased your supplies!

5. Diana Viera says

Louise ~ Thank you for posting this! I made mini roses for a 6″ cake and I couldn’t figure out why I wasn’t so happy with it. The book that I was using said to pinch it with your fingers while rolling them with your hands. The cake came out cute but I still wasn’t happy with it. I like your tutorial much better. If you e-mail me, I can send you the picture so you can see what I mean. ~ D

6. michelle says

This is fantastic. Can you tell me what he icing is in the top photo of the little cakes with the mini roses on – thank you.

7. Kirsty says

I have admired these mini roses for ages and now have the occassion where I can make them.
    I’ve pracised the rose and am so suprised at how easy it is to do. My dilema now is cupcakes or cookies mmmm…

Louise I do have a question – what is the white icing you use on the cookies?

8. Bridget says

Louise, how do you attach the mini-roses? Will a little water do the trick or do you need to use royal icing? Thanks!

9. Heidi says

Hi Louise

Thank you so much for this blog! I work really long hours and dream of baking all day long! I check out your blog every 5min, i read and re read your posts and marvel at all the beautiful and wonderful things you make!You really inspire me! I dont have much time to bake as there is always housework to catch up on when i am home, but i really really love your work and am so keen to try it! i made some mmf last night and being friday, i am going to “play” all morning tomorrow! thank you so much! i really appreciate all your hard and beautiful work! (south africa)

10. Trudi says

I stumbled onto this site while looking for something. I think it’s fantastic… thanks for showing us how it’s done.
    Can i ask how you did the leaves.. did you use a cutter? if so, which one?
    Thanks heaps

Ivona: You can just color some white fondant/gumpast or just use ready colored paste.

Jenie: The first times I made mmf it was ivory. But the next day when I knead it it got more white. its abit like hard candy, the more you knead the more white it get. The only problem is the amount of air bubbles.

Thank you – I’m going make some this weekend for cupcake toppers – in charge of our school’s election day bake sale Tuesday – they will sell fast!

S.W.A.K.

P.S. – Please come over to enter our 2nd Annual Halloween Contest/Giveaway – better hurry!

13. Jenie says

Hi Louise! Thanks for the tutorial! Is the white on the cookie fondant or royal icing? I made Marshmallow fondant last week for the first time and it was not white white and it was not really flat when I put it on the cookie? I’m a little bit discouraged!

14. madelaine says

i just made those for my daughter’s 2nd birthday. i wasn’t an official cake decorator in time for her 1st birthday cake, but now that i am one her 2nd cake and future ones are cuter…

15. Ivona says

Those are very quite! Your blog is very inspirational. I’m getting ready to try making fondant decoartions for my sons class BDay party. Can I buy white rolled fondant and then die it the color I want, or would I have to buy the mix and mix the fondant myself. I am so confused. Thanks for taking the time to answer

Thank you for showing us how to make those beautiful mini roses, since I saw them in your decorations, Iยดve been wondering how to make them, they are so lovely and delicate! Best regards!